Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board (NPAIHB), at the direction of our 43 member tribes, has declared a public health emergency related to COVID-19. NPAIHB strongly recommends that our member tribes, and tribes nationwide, mitigate the pandemic by taking steps to stop the spread of COVID-19, by closing non-essential services within their tribal communities.
- NPAIHB supports each tribe defining essential services and that essential services be limited to those necessary for public health and safety.
- NPAIHB recommends tribes immediately enact shelter in place for their communities and people and cancel all social gatherings to stop the spread of COVID-19 and that all AI/AN people “stay home.”
- NPAIHB recommends that all tribes, AI/AN people, and all people practice social distancing when out of the home (accessing or providing essential services).
- Read the complete declaration here.
- Join weekly update calls (Tuesdays 10-11am Pacific Daylight Time)
- Access State and Federal resources and guidance
- Get tips and tools for community messaging
- Ask Auntie COVID-19 Q&A
- Ask Auntie video
- Follow We R Native for youth-friendly messages
Washing your hands seems so simple, but it’s one of the best methods for prevention.
- Wet your hands w/clean water and apply soap.
- Lather your hands and rub them together like you’re cleaning freshly picked huckleberries. Be sure to scrub the back of your hands between your finger and your fingernails.
- Scrub for 20 seconds or more. It helps if you sing your favorite Northern Cree song.
- Rinse off soap and give a good shake then dry with a clean towel.