UNITY’s Back to School Bash Successful
UNITY’s first-ever Back to School Bash, which took place at the the UNITY headquarters on August 20, was a hit among Phoenix area Native American youth. The summer-end blow out celebration marked the kick-off of the new school year for local students, and featured Marcus Guinn (Emcee One) and Chance Rush of the nationally renowned One Chance Leadership. UNITY welcomed community members who gathered to celebrate the students and their success to come in their academic journey.
Event highlights included:
- Welcome by Lisa Chavez, Ak-Chin Indian Community, NUC Western Region Rep
- Ice Breakers & Team Building Activities led by One Chance Leadership
- Raffles (Nike N7 Backpacks, Shoni Schimmel signed photos, swag bags)
- Back to School Inspirational Messages
- Community Resource tables inlcuding the Phoenix Indian Center, Native Health, and the Tribal Warm Line
- Networking & Refreshments
- and school supplies, t-shirt and poster giveaways.
The bash also served as a way for locals to donate cases of water to aid those without clean water on the Navajo Nation due to the Animas River tragedy from the Gold King Mine waste spill.