Mesa, Az – United National Indian Tribal Youth, Inc. (UNITY) has announced that the application process is now open for the 2021 cohort of its Earth Ambassadors Leadership Program. The environmental stewardship program, established in the 1990s, engages Native American and Alaska Native youth in training sessions and informational workshops to increase their knowledge of environmental issues affecting Native America, learn to serve as ambassadors to increase awareness of the issues affecting the environmental quality on Native lands, and promote efforts to address environmental concerns within the nation’s Native communities representatives and lawmakers.
APPLICATION DEADLINE is March 5, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. MST.
Apply online with the two-step application forms:
- Nomination Form:
- Student Personal Statement Form: https://forms.gle/
Both online forms must be completed before March 5th to be considered. Paper copies or email submissions are not accepted.
Native youth must be between the ages of 14 and 24 years old and be able to provide proof of state or federally recognized tribal nation enrollment. Prior involvement in UNITY is not a requirement.
Ten selected Earth Ambassadors are eligible to receive:
- Opportunities for environmental awareness training and events with peers.
- Complimentary registration to the 2021 National UNITY Conference to be held in Dallas, Texas.
- One registration to the 2022 UNITY Midyear Conference to showcase their project final reports and experiences.
- Eligibility for UNITY travel scholarships and complimentary lodging at the host hotels for each conference.
All incentives are based on funding availability, financial need, and the awardee’s participation in conference-call meetings, requested ambassador duties, and required report submissions. In addition, all Earth Ambassadors must be in good standing with UNITY’s Code of Honor, which is embedded in the National UNITY Council’s Constitution and Bylaws. (Copies upon request)
The 2021 class of UNITY Earth Ambassadors will be announced on Earth Day, Thursday, April 22, 2021.
For questions, please contact Greg Mendoza at [email protected] or call our national UNITY headquarters at (480)718-9793.