St. Paul Island, AK – – UNITY welcomes its newest affiliate, the Aleut UNITY Youth Tribal Council, representing the Aleut Community of Saint Paul Island, one of five volcanic islands located in the Bering Sea.
The group joined UNITY last September after the resolution was unanimously passed by the Aleut Community of St. Paul Tribal Government to establish this new youth council. The council will support the youth by providing leadership training, guidance, and experience opportunities to better prepare them for the important roles as the tribe’s future leaders.
The youth council Bylaws outlines its objectives, which are to:
- provide a collective voice and represent the tribal youth in all matters that concern them
- serve as a means of mobilizing and coordinating the actions of youth, other community members and organizations toward positive goals
- promote the development of future tribal leaders
- help solve problems facing tribal youth
- coordinate school and community service projects, and
- provide opportunities for the youth to interact for fun and fellowship. Read More